June 16, 2014

Garden Update: Beans, Beans, the Magical Fruit

...and that sentence will not finish with "the more you eat, the more you toot". At least not in this instance!

I neglected weeding the garden this weekend in favor of other, more enjoyable activities, but still took some photos showing the main garden's progress as far as my (new) seed babies are concerned. It's been just over two weeks since we put the garden in, and most everything is starting to sprout!


















The peas (on the left, on either side of the wire fencing) are popping up in nice neat little rows. Can't wait until they're tall enough to start climbing! The beans (right) are also doing really well...for some reason the left row came in faster, but even the "bald" spots in the right row have areas where the dirt is being pushed aside to make for bean plants. I'm sure I'll have a nice crop of beans this year!


















The cauliflower (left) is up as well, as far as I can tell. The seedlings are kind of mixed in with the weeds and plant debris (which is a result of rototilling a garden that hasn't been maintained in two years - it should be better next year), and the zucchini is coming in quite nicely, and large like the bean plants.


















For the four rows of carrots (left, noted by the white row markers), I can't tell if they've decided to make an appearance yet, as carrot seedlings are so tiny. At this point, I'm just going to let them grow amongst the weeds, and once everything's a bit bigger, I'll try and differentiate. Don't worry, I plan on weeding the rest of the garden soon! And last but not least, the potatoes - R's babies are up! They're not big or bushy yet either, but I definitely think they have the potential to be!

I can't tell if the cilantro and garlic chives are up, so I didn't take a picture of those.


















And some bonus, non-veggie garden pics for you - my bleeding hearts (left) are doing quite well, this one is bushing up more and more, so hopefully I'll get to see some blooms this year! The hostas (right) are all getting big, too, but the exciting thing is that the other three plants in the top left corner of the front flower bed (all bulbs) have popped out! They were a little slow on the pick-up, but they're here now!

I can't wait until I have some blooms happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment