June 9, 2014

Garden Update: The Hostas are Rising

I figured since the last pictures I posted of the potted plants were from a week or two ago, it would be prudent to post some more recent photos of some of the growth we've had in both the flower beds and the pots. The peppers and tomatoes are doing nicely, and the hostas are coming up in full force in the front flower bed. Some of the other perennials that we planted are taking a bit longer to get growing, but that's to be expected, since some of them were bulbs and not active roots.


















As you can see, there's a random lily growing in there as well (photo on the left). I'm not sure what kind it is, but it'll be a nice surprise once it blooms. The other existing plant is what my mom and I figure is columbine (the bushy plants in the photo on the right)...again, I have no idea what color it'll be, but I'm sure it'll look good.


















I'm super excited about how my basil is doing (left), as it has practically doubled in size since we moved it into the big pot it's in now. Basil can apparently be pretty picky, so it's nice to see that it's not drowning or dying of thirst. The Thai chilis are starting to come in now, too (right), and it'll be fun to eventually make some Thai curry or something using those.


















Last but not least are the serranos (left) and Sweet Heat chilis (right). This is only one of the five serrano plants, but it's pretty indicative of how all five are doing - the peppers are getting quite large, and there are more growing all the time. The Sweet Heat chilis are getting quite large, too, but I think I'll wait to harvest them until they're ripe/red.

Not too much action on any of the tomatoes yet, but a couple of the plants have flowers on them already, so I anticipate that there will soon be fruit forming on those.

The vegetable garden hasn't sprouted anything yet, but it has only been about a week since it was planted, and seed germination times are usually around ten to 15 days. Perhaps there'll be something by next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment